Our Birth Story

My little baby is 4 weeks old today, and I have finally gotten a chance to sit down and write out our birth story. It was amazing and miraculous and painful and frightening and transformative and bigger than anything I thought it could be. Everyone is right when they say it changes you forever, I just didn’t realize exactly what kind of changes that would be.

Let’s start the story with my induction, since before that all I did was try to walk, squat and jump this baby out with no success. I was to be induced on a Monday evening but unfortunately the hospital had to push me back. I was heartbroken and frustrated and tired of being pregnant. Plus both sets of grandparents-to-be and great-grandmother-to-be was here and I could feel all of their disappointment and anger with the situation. It was not an easy one to get through, and I must admit I poorly hid my difficulty and may not have been the most gracious or understanding person at the moment.

I had planned us to have a lovely dinner, my last meal, before heading to the hospital. We had that meal, but my induction was up in the air. Later that night, I was told if I wasn’t called beforehand that I should be at L&D the following morning by 7:30 AM. Of course I didn’t sleep, checking my phone constantly to see if I had missed the call. I didn’t, so I soon found myself at the hospital the next morning ready to get down to business.

The hospital was beautiful, my nurses were amazing and I soon settled in. In terms of a birth plan I didn’t really have one. All I knew was that I wanted to try going without an epidural, though I was not opposed to having one if necessary. Unfortunately, though I would have preferred to not have pitocin or constant fetal monitoring, once on the pit I had no choice. Our little gal did not want to come on her own, so after blowing 5 veins before the lucky 6th got a port I was on pit and well on my way – so I thought.


Me and Mama Cherry, my mother-in-law.

During the early hours of labor I was a champ. I was in high spirits, squatting with every contraction and dancing in between them. My water was broken to see if things would move along but not much happened. The contractions were actually not painful at all, and I found myself saying I couldn’t believe labor was less painful than my periods! Remember, this was real early in labor. Both Lee’s parents and my parents hung out with us for a while, but once my contractions began to get more intense it was just Lee and I.


It was wonderful just being the two of us. We got into a real groove and he was just incredible. He was determined to be there for me every step of the way and not faint and I must say that he did just that. I wouldn’t have been able to get through it without him. It was all dancing and listening to music and squatting for a while, and then around the 16th hour, with the pit at 18, my contracts became so intense I would scream in pain and cry out. My doctor finally told me that I looked exhausted, and she gently mentioned that the epidural could give me enough of a rest so that I could push my baby out.


I was 8 centimeters, and though I was almost there I decided on the epidural. I just couldn’t see myself making it on no sleep, no food and back to back contractions. As I said, there were a lot of tears and high pitched screams. I got the epidural, rested for 2 hours, pushed for one and repeated three times. The epidural only lasted a few hours at a time, but I was ok with that because by the time I was 10 centimeters and baby girl had descended I could feel my contractions and push effectively.

With a fever, and an hour before I would have to have a c-section, I pushed my girl out in less than 30 minutes. Unfortunately, because of this I wasn’t able to see my baby as soon as she was born. Lee took a picture of her and brought it over so I could see her while I was getting stitched up. 2 degree tear though my doctor I am sure stitched me up reaaaaaaaal good.


First photo of baby girl


Our first meeting


Latched on while my mom, dad and grandmother came to meet the newest addition to the family!

I had an hour before my love, Alma Ysabel, was taken to the NICU. Everyone came in to see us and she latched on like a pro. We were both in the hospital for a little over 48 hours. I went to see her every 2 hours, breastfeeding, snuggling and kissing her.



Here we both are in her private NICU room, spending time with our little miracle.

Getting to come home with her was an amazing moment, and she came home in style thanks to my mom.


Look at that dress!


Right before getting her snug in the car and on our way home as a family of four (including our little Napo).

There are a bunch of details I am leaving out –  ones that were funny, horrible, frightful and touching all  at once. They are the moments I shared with Lee and my labor team and my baby, that I will forever hold close to my heart. But this is the overview, as long as it may seem, of one of the greatest moments of my life along with the day I met Lee, the day we married and the day we welcomed Napo into our family.

So that’s it! Stay tuned for a post on our hospital bag essentials, baby essentials and breastfeeding journey thus far.

Amor y besos,


Leave A Reply